GarageBand runs on iPhone 4, sorta’

See YouTube video and photos.

Much doesn’t work, but I was able to play Smart Keyboard. I’m on 4.2.1, maybe it would be better on 4.3…

Could be a way to for app to resize. Not sure. My hope is that others will see this and maybe spark some interest.

Photos after the break.

Shout out to ryan petrich for DisplayRecorder.

How?

I’ll list out the steps I took. Ask questions in the comments:

1. Jailbreak your iPhone @ 4.2.1
2. Install OpenSSH package.
3. Buy GarageBand on your computer via iTunes. Find downloaded app on your computer: GarageBand 1.0.0.ipa
4. Unarchive the file. You may need to rename it to: GarageBand 1.0.0.ipa.zip
5. Using Cyberduck, connect to your iPhone and copy the folder “MobileGarageBand.app” from the uncompressed archive into the folder: /var/stash/Applications
5a. Change permissions (chmod) the directory aka folder “MobileGarageBand.app” to 775 or use iFile (U: RWE, G: RWE, W: RE)
5b. Change permissions (chmod) the application “MobileGarageBand” to 775 or use iFile (U: RWE, G: RWE, W: RE)
6. Reboot phone and you will see the app.
7. Run it and enjoy the rather limited functionality ;)

Update #1 3/3/2011 – Added in 5a & 5b

10 comments ↓

#1 Fat on 03.14.11 at 12:26 am

Followed the steps, noted that the application folder inside stash had some extension e.g. Applications.2soHT , used iFunBox, saw the app icon after reboot, but not able to run it, click and the screen blinks and stays there no app was opened…. any idea?

#2 Emanuele Biasiol on 03.16.11 at 10:45 am

Hi!
I’m really interested in your project and I look forward to a solution to the resizing problem! I’m not very skilled but If there’s anything I can do to help you, please reply me!

#3 John on 03.20.11 at 4:03 am

I did everything, SSHd it over, and the icons there, but I click it and it won’t open. Help?

#4 jon on 03.29.11 at 1:31 am

What iOS version are you running?

#5 jon on 03.30.11 at 1:02 pm

For anyone who had app. crashing, I guess I forgot to add the permissions step. I’ve added them above.

#6 Damian on 03.31.11 at 12:23 am

Got it running on 4.2.6 on the Verizon one. I’ve been stuck on the scaling too. It appears that the “dynamic scaling” aspect of the app is before the IPA gets generated. Also, been trying to modify the info.plist file to any success, no go yet. Soon, I hope!

#7 jon on 03.31.11 at 5:55 am

That’s good to know since I don’t have a Verizon phone. Thanks.

#8 Sameer on 04.09.11 at 11:30 am

Thanks man
Is there any way to resize the app?

#9 King on 04.24.11 at 9:09 pm

Why doesn’t apple want iPhone 4 users to have this too?

#10 [How To] Get Garage Band Running On iPhone 4 | iOS Central - Apple News, Reviews, and How Tos on 04.27.11 at 6:43 am

[...] steps are thanks to the folks over at methodicjon.com so kudos to them! Share this:PrintEmail // Related posts:Cracked apps on Non-Jailbroken 4.2 / [...]